Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Overpriced Old Chang Kee Currypuffs Use Computers for 5 Years

I have not bought nor eaten any stuff from Old Chang Kee which i find overpriced. Its currypuff sell at $1.30 which i find exorbitant. With same amount i can buy 9 currypuffs at JB, Msia at RM3. Moreover i don't see anything great about eating an overpriced currypuff spit out from a machine compared to home-made ones from a hawker in JB,Msia.

I surfed onto their corporate website & took a look at its financial report:

==========================
Depreciation is computed on a straight-line basis over the estimated useful lives of the assets as follows:

Leasehold building – Over the remaining lease terms
Machinery and equipment – 5 years to 10 years
Motor vehicles – 5 years
Renovation – 5 years to 10 years
Electrical fittings – 5 years to 10 years
Furniture – 5 years to 10 years
Computers – 5 years
=========================

Wow, their computers depreciated over 5 years. There's darn frugal. Personally i'm satisfied as long as my computer & related equipment can breach 3years of usage.

How many people buy stuff with a target of how long to use the item before allowing a new replacement purchase? Not many people can resist peer pressure when many people around are spending to upgrade to latest gadgets.

1 comment:

  1. Heehee, me too!

    I used my old Apple iBook for 6 years. If not for my academic needs (my school supports only the newer versions of web-browers and MS-Office), I would have continued using it. Why upgrade when the item still fulfils one's limited needs? My trusty old iBook now has a new lease of life with my friend who uses it for basic web-surfing and artistic design purposes.

    I am still using my handphone from 2007, which I won from an online competition. I use my phone for 4 main purposes, text messages, phone-calls, digital camera, and MP3 player. I don't need to have the latest widgets, applications and tools on my phone, so I don't feel the need to upgrade.

    My philiosophy is: No need to always go for the latest and greatest, just whatever that meets one's needs.

    That said, I have met enterprising youngsters who sell their not-too-old phones and upgrade to new ones whenever a promotion makes the move profitable. E.g. Sell old phone at $130, sign new 2-year mobile service contract with a latest phone tied-in for $80. Thus, they make a profit of $50 while getting a new phone, albeit with a 2-year contract.

    p.s. I don't buy Old Chang Kee, but I supported the hand-made curry puffs from my neighbourhood coffee shop which were selling at $1.20/piece back in 2010. It is a well-made puff and locally owned (owner ran that curry puff stall since the 1970's), so I felt that it was worth it to buy from them (support local small-time businesses).

    ReplyDelete