Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Power of Introversion from Notable People

My introversion is not as heavy as Carl Jung as in requiring several days to recover.

"Solitude is for me a fount of healing which makes my life worth living. Talking is often a torment for me & i need many days of silence to recover from the futility of words."- Carl Jung

"I hate crowds & making speeches. I hate facing cameras & having to answer to a crossfire of questions. Why popular fancy should i seize upon me, a scientist, dealing in abstract things & happy if left alone, is a manifestation of mass psychology that is beyond me."-Albert Einstein


33% to 50% of the population are introverts. However our culture tend towards glamorizing extroversion. Some introverts pretend to be extroverts in order to fit in- end of workday they are even more exhausted.

Cost cutting & consolidation in my previous workplace led to 'open concept cubicle farms' where there's hardly any privacy. For a rather heavy leaning introvert like me i dislike such environment. At times i escape to quiet spots during lunch time in order to recharge.

People's attention span are already low with so many spam & carpet bombing of advertisements trying to interrupt us to get our attention. If bosses are worried about workers lazing in cubicles with higher walls providing more privacy, their worries are pretty much ill-founded. Why? -Competition from globalization.

How can productivity & innovation of introverts thrive when there's constantly people walking around & looking around even when seated due to low cubicle farm walls(easier to interrupt)?

1 comment:

  1. > Some introverts pretend to be extroverts in order to fit in- end of workday they are even more exhausted.

    Haha. sounds like me. I did drama from JC days. My drama skills helped me to project a confident & extroverted personality to fit into a variety of situations. Frankly, many-a-days "socializing = doing work" rings true for me, even if the "work" is sometimes pleasurable. Effective, mutually beneficial conversation is often hard work.

    ReplyDelete